If sinus infections brought you down last year, don’t let this problem continue into 2015.
By follow these five steps you will help keep your sinuses healthy, even in these illness-inducing winter months.
- Say no to cigarettes. Both smoking cigarettes and being around secondhand smoke can irritate the sinuses. Smoke and other air pollutants can cause swelling and congestion in the sinus system, and they can make allergies worse.
- Watch out for allergies. Speaking of allergies, they can cause sinus pain and discomfort. Even worse, if allergy symptoms are left untreated, they can escalate into a sinus infection. If you know you have allergies, treat them according to your doctor’s instructions. If you’re not sure on how to treat your allergies, schedule a consultation with your Doctor to see what’s the best course of action.
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Water can be your sinuses’ best friend. Drinking enough aqua and other hydrating beverages can help keep mucus loose. On the reverse side, alcohol and caffeinated, dehydrating beverages are associated with sinus pain and pressure, so make mindful drink choices when you’re ill.
- Assess your medicine cabinet. Overmedication is one of the more common problems we see at our practice — when you’re feeling sick, it’s easy to walk down the pharmacy aisle and grab whatever over-the-counter medicine promises to make your symptoms stop. But if those medicines aren’t the right ones for you, they can cause more harm than good, simply masking symptoms rather than treating them. Ask your sinus doctor about your symptoms, and come up with a plan that’s tailored to you.
- Get regular checkups. Sinus problems and allergies can change over time. See your doctor regularly, even if it’s just for a checkup, to make sure you’re in the best possible health.
Ready to make 2015 a healthy year? Give our NYC sinus doctors a call to set up a personal consultation to nip those sinus problems in the bud.