Got a sinus infection that makes you, well, just want to hide in bed?
Our first recommendation: call your doctor, because untreated sinus infections can lead to bigger problems.
Another note: while you’re fending off the aches, pains and runny noses, there are a few home remedies that might help ease the discomfort.
1. Cool it. Hot temperatures — and indoor heating systems — can dry out the sinuses, making symptoms like mucous buildup worse. There’s no magic temperature for fighting a sinus infection, but being slightly chilly is better than sitting in a room with blasting heat.
2. Grab some garlic. Besides its antioxidant properties, garlic can help clear out mucous. Horseradish can also help do the trick.
3. Watch for trigger foods. Dairy, chocolate, fried foods and eggs can cause sinusitis symptoms to flare up, so consider your menu accordingly while sick. And be sure to drink plenty of water.
4. Keep your air clean. Opening the windows, as long as pollen levels aren’t out-of-control, can reduce stale air that irritates sinuses. Change your air conditioner filters regularly, too.
5. Get some ZZZ’s. It might seem obvious, but getting a good night’s rest can do wonders for helping the body heal. Sleeping on your back with your head slightly elevated can promote sinus drainage.
Sinusitis treatment is a delicate process, and it works differently for every patient. Home remedies aren’t a substitute for expert medical care, but we hope they help ease your symptoms while you’re fighting off sickness. In the meantime, give us a call if you need personalized sinusitis advice.