Sinus infections are frustrating, and it can be tricky to get to the bottom of what’s really causing them. Our NYC ear, nose and throat specialists always recommend getting a check-up if sinus infections — also called sinusitis — have become a problem.
We find that many patients end up getting stacks of drugstore sinus meds that mask the symptoms rather than “fixing things.” That’s an unproductive cycle.
So when sinus infections hit, how do you deal?
- Check in with your doctor. At our Manhattan ENT Center, we like to get a thorough medical history, ask questions and then recommend a treatment based on individual needs. If you’ve been diagnosed with a sinus-related issue before, we like to double-check that there’s not a misdiagnosis. Keep your sinus doctor informed of any problems, and ask for help when needed.
- Don’t assume that you’ll need a prescription. Would you be surprised to know that up to 70 percent of sinusitis sufferers recover without prescription meds? Antibiotics are being given out more carefully these days, and only when it seems a sinus infection is caused by a bacterial infection.
- Ask about decongestants. Certain drugstore meds and prescription nasal sprays can help clear out the nasal passages and offer relief.
- Address the pain. Sinus infections often mean facial pain and headaches. Your doctor can help recommend an OTC pain reliever for your specific needs.
- Get steamed. Let’s face it…most of us don’t have saunas at home. But you can fake one by running a hot shower and sitting in your bathroom with the door closed for a few minutes.
- Rest up. As with most ailments, a good night’s sleep can do wonders for healing. You might wish to sleep with your head elevated on a pillow or two to help promote mucous drainage. If so, do that on your back, not your side, as to not hurt your neck and spine.
Our ear, nose and throat specialists are here to help you fight off sinus infections. With the right treatment — and a little patience — there really can be hope in sight.