Your ears, like every part of your body, age over time. For some people, this means their hearing levels start to dip as they get older.
According to Audicus, by the age 50, about 9% of people will experience some form of hearing loss. This figure refers to the basic baseline amount of noise exposure and does not account for extra noise exposure.
If you factor in this extra noise exposure, the results are drastically different. If you work in a noisy job where you are consistently subjected to elevated levels of noise exposure, your hearing loss rates increase significantly.
Jobs Associated With Hearing Loss
Across the U.S., the following 10 jobs carry the highest rates of hearing loss:
- Manufacturing (affecting 30 percent of 50-year-olds)
- Firefighting (33 percent)
- Agriculture (36 percent)
- Navy (37 percent)
- Air Force (42 percent)
- Carpentry (44 percent)
- Plumbing (48 percent)
- Army (50 percent)
- Construction (60 percent)
- Mining (60 percent
If your ears are exposed to loud (or even moderate) noises over time, the anatomy of the ear can gradually change. Hair-like structures called stereocilia and nerves can both be damaged by ongoing noise.
Hearing Loss Symptoms
One of the best ways to get ahead of hearing loss is to look out for early symptoms and to start to address the problem sooner rather than later.
- Trouble hearing where a sound is coming from
- Difficulty hearing women or children (who tend to have higher-pitched voices than men)
- Having to frequently ask others to repeat themselves
- Mishearing what others say
- Turning up music and the TV louder than you used to
- Having to get closer to hear what others are saying
- Trouble hearing in crowded places (like restaurants)
- Avoiding your favorite places (perhaps because of frustration about hearing conversations)
There is no need to suffer on your own with your hearing problems. Untreated hearing loss can make a big impact on your quality of life, but there are treatment plans for every budget and lifestyle.
If you need advice, schedule a consultation with our expert team right away.